Ammonium Sulphate Processing Plant

The purpose of this report is to provide background information from process information obtained from industry comment and a test report to support revision of the process description and/or emission factors for ammonium sulfate. It includes a characterization of the industry, an overview of the different process types, a description of emissions, and a description of the technology used to control emissions resulting from the production of ammonium sulfate, and a review of references.

Ammonium Sulphate Processing Plant

Ammonium Sulphate Processing Plant

Ammonium Sulphate Processing Plant

An Ammonium Sulphate plant was designed to produce 100 000 ton/annum of product with a split of 80/20 between fine and coarse crystals for supply to the agricultural and industrial industries. The Secunda operations team has been operating
the plant for the past financial year resulting in many interesting challenges due to the unique design of the plant. The team achieved the instantaneous design output of 12,2 ton per hour after modifications were done to the original design of the
plant.”There are still many challenges ahead in improving the online factor of the plant by addressing the integrity of the critical equipment and to fully understand the “black art” of crystallisation,” states Jaco van Straaten, plant manager of the new plant.The biggest focus currently is on achieving the desired output of 20% coarse crystals on a continuous basis due to the higher margin contribution. After searching for ways to increase the yield, a modification was done to introduce crystal seed back into the system on a controlled basis. The 20% split was achieved during the first two weeks of July,” van Straaten continued.

About 90 percent of ammonium sulfate is produced by three different processes: as a byproduct of caprolactam synthetic manufacture from pure ammonia and concentrated sulfuric acid, and as a coke oven byproduct. The remaining 10 percent is produced as a byproduct in nickel manufacture, or as a byproduct of methyl methacrylate manufacture or from ammonia scrubbing of tail gas at sulfuric acid plants. These minor processes are not discussed here.

Ammonium Sulphate Production Line

Ammonium Sulphate also provides a number of other beneficial properties and can be recommended in relatively large quantities for pre-plant broadcast applications on centre pivot irrigation, especially where the pH of the soil is high and where large quantities of plant residues were incorporated into the soil after the previous crop. When broadcasted under such conditions, Ammonium Sulphate must be incorporated into the soil immediately after application. Under these conditions, Zenith Ammonium Sulphate Processing Plants are exported to India, Nigeria, Australia ,Saudi Arabia (uae),Indonesia, Pakistan ,Peru ,Mexico,Colombia ,South Africa,Kenya,Algeria ,Eygpt,Ghana ,Zimbabwe ,Iran,Chile,Malaysia ,Philippines,Sri Lanka ,UAE,Zambia ,Vietnam.